Planning your choice of programs
We offer age-appropriate programs emphasizing specific New York State Education Standards. Our programs last between 25 minutes for our Medley options to an hour for more advanced options. Please see The Wild Classroom Program Guide here for more information.
Medley Program 25 minute stations
This is an excellent choice for groups that wish to have a staff-guided program featuring a live animal or one of our grade-inspired lessons. Students will break up into predetermined groups organized by the teacher and rotate through different stations. In addition to staff-led stations, students will have scheduled times to explore the museum and enjoy lunch.
Animal Encounters 20 to 30 minutes
These may be part of a medley program or may be offered once for a large group in our theater. Animal encounters can feature rattlesnakes, porcupines, owls, reptiles, and more. Programs run between 20 to 30 minutes. While we happily fulfill requests for specific animals, those used during these encounters depends on the current condition of our living collection.
Focused Learning 45 minutes to an hour
These programs allow students of any age to dig deeper into the Adirondacks. An interpretive walk on The Wild Center trails, a tour of our “green” facilities, and practicing scientific research using radio telemetry are all ways to focus on a topic while interacting with a trained staff naturalist.
Groups are welcome to explore the museum on their own. To make the experience richer for your students, you may consider:
- Jr. Naturalist Patch: Complete the packet and change your rank to Jr. Naturalist! $1.00/student
- Self-guided Walks: Explore our trails
- Teacher-led Programs: Teachers are welcome to develop their own lessons for their visit
- The Pines: Be creative in this specially-designed, natural playground
- Theater Films: Films are offered throughout the day for all of our visitors. Schedules are available upon arrival